Photo courtesy Lori & Rosi Silverman (2009)

The West End Synagogue, in Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany, is the only remaining shul in Frankfurt that predates the Nazi era.  The building, which was constructed between 1908 and 1910, was damaged during Kristallnacht in November 1938 and during Allied bombing in 1944.  The Christians of Frankfurt, however, despite murdering over 11,000 of their Jewish neighbors and destroying all the other synagogues in the city, refrained from burning the West End Synagogue entirely to the ground due to its proximity to other buildings.  It was provisionally renovated in 1950, and restored as entirely as possible between 1989 and 1994.