MEMO: TO ALL JEWISH COMMUNITY MEMBERS
FROM: DR. HOWARD BENATOVICH, PRESIDENT
DANIEL G. KANTOR, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
DATE: MARCH 19, 2003
RE: SECURITY PRECAUTIONS DURING THE IRAQ CRISIS
Now that the onset of the war in Iraq seems imminent, the United States Office of Homeland Security elevated the national threat level to ORANGE -
HIGH. With this in mind, The Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo issues the following message:
1. All public buildings, including houses of worship and schools, should review their security measures, to decide if additional
guards, trained volunteers, cameras, lighting or other methods would enhance their security profile.
2. As part of its enhanced security measures, the Buffalo and Amherst Police and New York State Troopers are giving special attention to
all Houses of Worship in our area. Houses of Worship and schools should advise the Community Relations Office of the Jewish Federation of the times
that any services, meetings or events are scheduled, or any special and large events are planned.
3. It is important that citizens increase their vigilance during this period. If you suspect imminent danger, call 911 immediately.
The Police, Sheriff's Dept and FBI have protocols in place to route that call. This will get first responders on the scene (usually the police) as
soon as possible. If you suspect something suspicious that does not appear to pose an immediate threat, please call the New York State toll-free
hotline at 1-866- SAFENYS 24-hours a day, seven-days a week. The Local FBI Terrorism task Force will move to 24/7 mode when war begins.
4. The Jewish Federation has publications available on Evacuations and Sheltering-in-Place, and keeping your Jewish Institution
safe. Please contact the Community Relations Department at Federation at 886-7750 - either
Ellen Goldstein or Hannah
Sternshein if you wish a copy or any or all publications. Thank you for your cooperation.
* 5. If you have any further questions please call
Dan Kantor (w) 886-7750 or 886-7754 x 305
Ellen Goldstein ( 886-7750 or 886-7754 x311)
As you know, the international situation is changing daily. In the weeks and months ahead, all of us will be required to exercise caution and discretion.
Marketing and Community Relations Director
Jewish Federation of Greater Buffalo
787 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, New York 14209